Public Health Approached & Practice in Complex Systems
Conference & Annual General Meeting
November 14th & 15th, 2019
The Sutton Place Hotel
We hope everyone in the PHABC family had a safe and happy Halloween with friends and family! Now that October is over and November is upon us, it’s almost time for our annual conference! Have you purchased your ticket yet? If not you better hurry before it’s too late. To check out the prices and register today follow the link below:
The conference schedule is packed with a number of excellent presentations and workshops that will leave delegates with a solid understanding of complex adaptive systems, complexity science and how to affect positive change using tools developed using complex adaptive systems thinking. You can copy the link below to check out the program in detail and start planning your days!
This year’s plenary sessions will feature a number of experts in their respective fields; including:
- The Honorable Minister of Agriculture Lana Popham
- Dr. Perry Kendall, CM and Co-executive director at BC Centre on Substance Use
- Craig Thompson, Director of Immunization at the Ministry of Health
- Val Morrison, Scientific Advisor at the National Collaborating Centre for Healthy Public Policy
- Dr. Tammara Soma, Research Director at Simon Fraser University’s Food Systems Lab
- Guy Felicella, Peer Clinical Advisor at the BC Centre for Substance Use and Inspirational Speaker
- Dr. Simon Carroll, Sociology Professor at the University of Victoria
- Lesley Dyck, Principal Consultant at Ideas to Impact Leadership and Consulting
- Dr. Shari Laliberte, Nursing Faculty at Vancouver Community College
- Dr. Marjorie MacDonald, Professor Emerita at the School of Nursing at the University of Victoria
- Melanie Kurrein, Food Security Provincial Manager at BC Centre for Disease Control
- Dr. Christy Sutherland, Medical Director at the Portland Hotel Society
- Ian Roe, National Manager of I Boost Immunity & Kids Boost Immunity
- Dr. Irv Rootman, Professor at the School of Public Health and Social Policy at the University of Victoria
- Andrew Tugwell, Director of Health Promotion & Prevention at BC Children’s Hospital
- Lori Snyder, Educator of Wild, Edible and Medicinal Plants at Earth Awareness Realized Through Health
- Dr. John Millar, Clinical Professor at the School for Population and Public Health at the University of BC
- Richard Han, Provincial Manager of Farm to School BC
- Rita Koutsodimos, Executive Director at the BC Alliance for Healthy Living
- Chris Van Ven, Director of Strategic Initiatives and Public Health Planning at Vancouver Coastal Health
To read more about them, check out their biographies on our conference page, follow the link below:
Don’t forget to get your free flu shots! On Friday November 15th, 2019 we will be hosting a flu shot clinic in Chateau Mouton Rothschild. Public health nurses will be on site to provide the vaccine and any person attending the conference is welcome to take advantage of the on-site flu shot clinic and stay healthy this winter.
In the afternoon of Thursday, November 14th, 2019 we hope you will join us for our annual social networking event, where we will be hosting our poster sessions, exhibitor booths and 2019 awards ceremony. Enjoy some free non-alcoholic refreshments and delicious appetizers while networking with likeminded individuals and learning about the latest research and projects ongoing in our province and beyond. A cash bar will also be available for anyone who wishes to enjoy an alcoholic beverage during the event.
We would like to take this time to thank all of our sponsors for this year’s conference, without them we would not be able to host this event year after year and we are eternally grateful for their support and commitment to public health in BC and beyond.
First Nations Health Authority
Community Action Initiative
Doctors of BC
Farm to School BC
Kids Boost Immunity
National Collaborating Centre for Health Public Policy
I Boost Immunity
We hope everyone is getting as excited about the upcoming conference as we are. Don’t forget to check out the information under our Conference 2019 tab for the most up to date conference information, including the release of our full conference program next week.