I am a Community Well-being Specialist with BC Healthy Communities Society, based out of Victoria, BC on the traditional territories of the Lekwungen peoples of the Esquimalt and Songhees Nations. After completing my Masters in Public Health at the University of Victoria in 2014, I worked as a Healthy Communities Planner for the Capital Regional District (CRD) where I focused on the development of a Community Health and Well-being Plan for the region and delivered equity lens workshops to regional partners. In 2017, I joined the team at BC Healthy Communities Society where I work with local governments and community groups across BC to support them in developing policies, processes and initiatives through a health and equity lens. I have also served on the Board of Directors for PHABC for the past two years and have learned a lot about how the organization operates and about the role of the Board.
My work and volunteer experiences have given me the opportunity to engage with diverse partners, including local and provincial governments, health authorities, educational institutions, community funders, local businesses and community organizations. I strive to build strong relationships with community partners and work with them, rather than for them, to identify opportunities for collaboration and knowledge sharing, and to develop strategies that better support community needs and interests.
My recent projects and experiences in public health include:
- Overseeing the Active Communities Grant Program in the Interior and Island Health regions, supporting 17 local governments with their healthy communities work (2017 – Present).
- Co-presenting on equity in planning at the Canadian Institute of Planners conference in Winnipeg, MB (July 2018)
- Co-presenting on metrics for healthy communities at the Planning Institute of BC conference in Victoria (June 2018)
- Providing a health and equity lens to the Strathcona Housing Needs Assessment project, ensuring community engagement, data collection and reporting processes were healthy and equitable (February – June 2018).
- Co-presenting on healthy communities at the PHABC 2017 Annual Conference (November 2017)
- Coordinating and chairing a multi-sectoral stakeholder group called the Regional Outcomes Monitoring Collaborative to track progress towards desired health and well-being outcomes in the capital region (2014 – 2017).
- Developing an online geographic information system (GIS) mapping resource to support municipal planners and service providers to better plan for diverse populations in the capital region (2015 – 2017).
- Representing the CRD on the Stewardship Committee of the Child & Youth Health Network of the capital region; a collective impact initiative (2015 – 2017).
- Co-presenting on equity in planning at the Planning Institute of BC conference in Kelowna (May 2016).
- Drafting a Community Health & Wellbeing Plan for the capital region, focusing on actions the CRD could take to contribute to a healthy region (2014 – 2017).
- Working with Island Health to implement the CRD’s Clean Air (No Smoking) Bylaw throughout the region (2014 – 2017).
- Developing an Equity Lens Framework for a previous version of the CRD’s Regional Growth Strategy (2014).