School District No. 36 (Surrey)
Human Resource Assistant, Employee Health Services
At Surrey Schools, we believe in inclusion and want all employees to participate meaningfully in the work that we do, to the best of their ability, regardless of illness or injury.
This exciting, full-time opportunity in our Employee Health Services department will provide support for the District’s non-occupational Disability Management services. The Human Resource Assistant (HRA) will provide critical, confidential general HR support and perform a wide variety of administrative duties related to medical leaves, and Return to Work/Stay at Work initiatives for all employee groups – Teachers, Support Staff, Principals/Vice-Principals and Exempt Staff.
The HRA works under the direction of the HR Manager, Employee Health Services.
This is a temporary assignment for up to one (1) year, with the possibility of extension or permanency.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Under the direction of the HR Manager:
- Assist with gathering relevant information for processing full and partial medical leaves
- Review and implement routine Gradual Return to Work plans or accommodations for injured/ill employees, escalating enquiries to the HR Manager, Employee Health Services when appropriate
- Update and maintain the Disability Management database and HR Information Systems with accuracy and precision
- Collate data, prepare and maintain reports, distribute information to appropriate stakeholder groups and provide input on trends
- Provide information, guidance and excellent customer service to internal and external stakeholders – Managers, Principals/Vice-Principals, Teachers, Support Staff, Union Representatives, and third party vendors, Insurers and Disability Management providers
- Foster supportive, collaborative and productive relationships with all internal and external stakeholder contacts and contribute to the ongoing development of the District’s Disability Management, Accommodation and Employee Wellness policies and practices
- Provide back up support for other employee groups within Employee Health Services
- Demonstrate utmost discretion in handling and disclosing confidential and sensitive information
- Must possess a minimum of five (5) years’ related HR experience, preferably in a unionized setting and in a customer service centered environment. An equivalent combination experience, training and education will be considered
- Demonstrated knowledge and understanding of general HR practices.
- Must possess knowledge/experience in Disability Management, Return to Work and Workplace Accommodation principles and jurisprudence. Completion of a relevant post-secondary programing Disability Management is an asset
- Experience with HR information systems/databases is required
- Must possess excellent computer skills and thorough knowledge of Microsoft Word and Outlook. Strong knowledge of Microsoft Excel is an asset.
- Exemplary and proven interpersonal and communication skills (written and verbal)
- Proven critical thinking and problem solving abilities
- Flexibility is a must, with a strong orientation for customer service and teamwork
- Self-starter with excellent organizational and planning skills
- Must be results oriented with the ability to function in a fast paced environment
This position works in an office environment, requiring infrequent travel to various work locations within School District #36 (Surrey). Conditions of employment are established by Surrey School District’s exempt terms of employment and Human Resources policies and procedures. As such, normal work hours are 8:00 am – 4:00 pm, Monday to Friday. Additional hours or time outside of the normal work hours may be necessary based on operational requirements.
The successful applicant will be offered a competitive salary and benefits package.
Interested and qualified applicants should forward their resume with supporting documentation, references, and cover letter on line www.makefuture.ca/surrey by 4:00 p.m. Wednesday, September 5, 2018 to:
Competition #: 967-18
Attention: Teni Peters
Human Resources Department
School District No. 36 (Surrey)
14033 – 92nd Avenue, Surrey, BC, V3V 0B7
Successful applicants will be required to consent to a Criminal Record Search prior to employment. Only those persons selected for interviews will be contacted. To all others, thank you for your interest.