Health & Wellness Coordinator
About School District 69 (Qualicum)
School District 69 (Qualicum) is centrally situated on east Vancouver Island and covers the area of Nanoose Bay to Bowser and spans from Errington across the Strait of Georgia to Lasqueti Island. We serve a student population of approximately 4000 students. School District 69 (Qualicum) consists of eight elementary schools (Grades K-7), two secondary schools (Grade 8-12), an alternate school (PASS/Woodwinds) and a Distributed Learning program to support home-learning families called the Collaborative Education Alternative Program (CEAP). False Bay School on Lasqueti Island is entirely off-grid with an immense solar project recently completed. School District 69 (Qualicum) also embraces many community organizations and members in our schools through various programs. The area’s natural beauty, never-ending beaches, impeccable climate and small-town charm make it a popular tourist destination and a great opportunity to have a career in paradise.
This is a six month full time position commencing as soon as possible. Remuneration will depend on qualifications and experience.
Director of Human Resources
Under the direction of the Director of Human Resources, and working collaboratively with employees, management, unions, health care professionals, and others, the Health & Wellness Coordinator performs a variety of tasks to support the recovery and wellbeing of employees returning to work or remaining at work.
The Health & Wellness Coordinator develops and implements return to work plans and wellness programs across the District; determines appropriate accommodations; actively participates in disability management and workers’ compensation case management; assists employees and their supervisors with attendance support programs; manages confidential employee information; and ensures that the District meets its legal obligations in these areas.
DETAILS OF FUNCTION
- Advise and assist senior management and other persons involved in planning, controlling and maintaining a healthy work environment in the areas of: employee wellness, disability management, accommodation, workers’ compensation, return to work, and attendance support ensuring that the District acts in accordance with applicable legislation.
- Develop, implement, and promote comprehensive health and wellness programs across the District and create awareness through for example email, newsletters, lunch and learns, brochures/posters or promotional events.
- Responsible for disability, return to work, accommodation, and workers’ compensation processes/meetings for the District.
- Ensure orientation/training is provided to employees on health and safety procedures and policies.
- Review and update related policies/procedures in the District, as required.
- Attend/consult with the District’s Joint Health & Safety Committee and other related committees to collect and aggregate data/information in order to identify health and safety trends or issues in the workplace and take steps to remedy any risks.
- Develop and deliver educational workshops and seminars related to health and wellness to a variety of District staff.
- Effectively support employee attendance across the District.
- Facilitate formal attendance support meetings and develop attendance action plans with employees and their supervisor(s). Participate in attendance meetings, as required.
- Effectively manage sensitive personal medical information to ensure confidentiality, including ensuring appropriate policies/procedures are in place and kept up-to-date for the handling of this information, and staff and others with access to this information is properly trained.
- Liaise with a variety of District staff, health providers and other outside resources/agencies as required.
- Act as resource for Principals, Vice-Principals and Supervisors who need additional support.
- Provide information to staff and ensure information on the District’s Portal is maintained.
- Conduct ergonomic assessments within the District, as required.
- Organize and oversee health clinics, such as influenza immunizations for staff.
- Review and prepare statistical and other reports for appropriate action as required.
- Perform other job related duties as assigned.
- Degree or diploma in Disability Management, Health Care or related discipline; supplemented by a minimum of three years of related experience in a unionized environment, preferably in a public sector environment and/or equivalent combination of education, training and experience;
- Considerable knowledge of related legislation and regulations in the workplace;
- Professional designation in disability management is an asset;
- Certification as a Certified Ergonomics Assessment Specialist is an asset;
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills;
- Exceptional interpersonal skills;
- Strong organizational skills;
- Excellent decision making and problem solving skills;
- Proficient in Microsoft suite applications and general aptitude with business software and information systems;
- Ability to mediate, negotiate and resolve conflict;
- Ability to multi-task;
- Ability to work with minimal supervision.
For further information please contact or submit a complete application package no later than 4:00 p.m. on Wednesday December 13, 2017 to www.makeafuture.ca/qualicum
School District 69 (Qualicum)
Director of Human Resources – School District 69 (Qualicum)
100 Jensen Ave. East, Box 430, Parksville, BC V9P 2G5
Fax: (250) 954-1259 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those selected for interviews will be contacted.