Exempt Staff Vacancy
Occupational Health & Safety Advisor
The Greater Victoria School District provides public educational services to over 20,000 students in the Greater Victoria Area, encompassing six municipalities. To provide this service, the District has a current operating budget of $184 million and employs approximately 3,000 staff; which includes, teachers, principals and vice-principals, support staff, psychologists, speech and language pathologists and exempt managerial staff.
Under the direction of the Manager of Occupational Health and Safety, the Occupational Health and & Safety Advisor will:
- Assist with the implementation and on-going administration of the District’s occupational health and safety program;
- Promote health and safety awareness among all employees with a focus on injury prevention
- Support workplace Joint Occupational Health and Safety Committees as required
- Aid in investigating and reporting workplace injuries and incidents, including recommendation to prevent reoccurrence
- develop safe work procedures, safety reports, and maintain appropriate records
- compile and analyse safety statistics for hazard identification and monitoring
- Interpret the Workers’ Compensation Act and Occupational Health and Safety Regulation and make recommendations to achieve and maintain compliance
- Assist with WorkSafeBC claims management and GRTW planning.
This exempt position offers:
- Starting salary of $67,000 per year with an extensive benefits package
- Six weeks’ vacation
- Municipal pension plan
- Mostly local travel with the occasional overnight stay.
The ideal candidate will have:
- High school graduation or equivalent
- Successful completion of a one year Occupational Health and Safety Certificate from an accredited institute
- Extensive knowledge of the Workers’ Compensation Act, Occupational Health and Safety Regulation and any other applicable legislation
- A minimum of five years related experience or an equivalent combination of education and experience
- Experience planning and delivering safety training programs
- Knowledge of office procedures and composing business correspondence at a publishing level
To apply, please send your cover letter, resume, proof of qualifications and references to:
Human Resource Services
Greater Victoria School District No. 61
556 Boleskine Road
or by fax:
Deadline for submission: 4:00 PM, Wednesday, September 12, 2017.
School District 61 thanks all applicants for their interest, however, only those selected for interviews will be contacted.