11th Annual Public Health Summer School 2020
Think Globally, Act Locally
Public Health and the Anthropocene
Thursday July 9th & Friday July 10th, 2020
Online this year due to COVID-19 but just as engaging as ever. Sign-up and attend anywhere you have internet
Want to know more? Read the Think Piece
One month to go until our annual public health summer institute (formally summer school), “Think Globally, Act Locally: Public Health and the Anthropocene,” and we are excited to release our draft agenda and the first round of speakers for our two-day event. Registration is open now for our online event, happening July 9th and 10th, 2020, if you haven’t registered yet what are you waiting for?
We are excited to welcome the following speakers to our summer institute:
- Dr. Trevor Hancock – Professor & Senior Scholar (Retired), School of Public Health and Social Policy, University of Victoria
- Dr. Maya Gislason – Assistant Professor, Faculty of Health Sciences, Simon Fraser University
- Dr. Shannon Waters – Cowichan Valley Medical Health Officer, Island Health
- Wii Esdes, Sandra A. Martin Harris – Community Developer & Social Development Advisor, Gitksan Government Commission
- Dr. Thomas Homer-Dixon – Founder & Director, The Cascade Institute, Royal Roads University
- Andrew Gage – Environmental Lawyer, West Coast Environmental Law
- Richard Han – Provincial Manager, Farm to School BC, PHABC
- Dr. Tim Takaro – Professor, Faculty of Health Science, Simon Fraser University
- Michael Nemeth – Passivhaus Consultant & Principal, Bright Buildings
- Rita Koutsodimos – Executive Director, BC Alliance for Healthy Living Society
- Dr. Theresa Healy – Adjunct Professor, School of Environmental Planning, University of Northern BC
- Pemma Muzumdar – Knowledge Translation Specialist, National Collaborating Centre for the Determinants of Health
- Aaren Topley – Provincial Manager, Can You Dig It!, PHABC
- Dr. Wanda Martin – Assistant Professor, College of Nursing, University of Saskatchewan
- Cora Hallsworth – Senior Associate, One Earth Initiative & Principal, Cora Hallsworth Consulting
- Dr. Margot Parkes – Professor, School of Health Sciences, University of Northern BC
- Jessie Best – Environmental Coordinator, Sustainability, Utilities & Environment, City of Saskatoon
Our intent is to locate this year’s summer school in this global ecological context, while grounding it in local public health action and linking it to the emerging debate about the need for transformative societal change and a just transition to a sustainable ‘One Planet’ society. Students will be introduced to each half day session topic via a main plenary presentation and then will split into small groups via breakout rooms to engage with the speaker and other students on a subtopic related to the main session.
The draft agenda is now available!
Please note that all times are in Pacific Standard Time.
As always, check out our summer school tab for all the latest information on the institute and to register today. We can’t wait to see you online soon!