HEALTH & SAFETY OFFICER
Surrey Schools, recipient of the BC’s Top Employer and Canada’s Greenest Employer awards, provides quality education to over 75,000 students in British Columbia’s fastest-growing community. Serving a diverse, multicultural urban centre, we are a progressive school district offering a broad range of innovative programs and services to support the learning of our students and staff.
As Health & Safety Officer, you will be one of three Health & Safety Officers who work as part of a dynamic team within the Employee Health and Safety Department. You will provide technical expertise, support and advice on occupational health, safety throughout our district’s 12,500 employees including teachers, support staff, administrators, exempt and executive staffs. We do this by developing programs, policies, procedures and supporting documents, and providing tools to support the implementation these programs at all our schools and District sites to help ensure the health and safety of our employees, students, contractors, and visitors.
As one of three officers, your portfolio includes a balanced combination of these programs:
- Asbestos Management
- Communicable Disease, including COVID-19 and Hepatitis B
- Confined Space
- Coordination of Contractors
- Discrimination, Bullying & Harassment
- Fall Protection
- First Aid
- Risk Assessment and Control
- Indoor Air Quality (IAQ)
- Workplace Violence
- Workplace Injury and Investigation
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Diploma or degree in Occupational Health & Safety
- Three or more years in a recent Health & Safety role
- CRSP, ROHT, CIH or similar designation is an asset
- Certified Internal COR Auditor with BCMSA or willingness to attain.
- Current COR auditing experience is an asset
- Current claims management experience including stay at work/recover at work programs and claim appeals
- Experience designing and delivering training modules in person and online
PERSONAL SKILL SET
- You have a healthy sense of humour and you bring enthusiasm for health and safety promotion.
- You have efficient written and verbal communication skills, and you enjoy working collaboratively with others to reach common goals.
- You have an ability to provide high level H&S advice across various levels of an organization.
- You value relationships, you are personable, and you offer a flexible approach to problem solving.
- You are very self-organized, and you can work within tight and often competing deadlines.
This position is excluded from the union and offers an excellent salary and benefits package. Interested and qualified applicants should apply on Make a Future ensuring to upload resume, cover letter and references, along with relevant educational certificates by 4:00 pm Friday November 19, 2021.
Note: The successful applicant will be required to consent to a Criminal Record Search prior to employment. Only applicants selected for interviews will be contacted. To all others, thank you.