Farm to School BC
Kamloops Regional Hub
Farm to School BC (F2SBC) and Public Health Association of BC (PHABC) seeks a dynamic, creative, and inspiring individual to coordinate, strengthen and expand the Farm to School Kamloops Regional Hub. Reporting to the Provincial Manager of F2SBC, the Animator provides students with access to healthy, local food and hands-on learning opportunities that foster food literacy while strengthening the local food system using a comprehensive and collective impact framework.
Working alongside teachers, students, local organizations including the Kamloops Food Policy Council, public health dietitians, farmers, and additional stakeholders engaged with nutrition, agriculture, health and education sectors, the Regional Animator will place local people at the centre of all they do, believing that sustainable solutions are only ever developed when the support of a local community is strongly evident. Furthermore, as a change agent in the community, the Animator builds bridges and strengthens connections within the community, and among various stakeholders that influence the community. The Animator will invest in relationships that will form the solid foundation for swift and effective future partnership development.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Support F2SBC programs in Kamloops Regional Hub in achieving the three core elements of F2SBC:
- Promote healthy, local food in schools and enhance student food literacy
- Foster hands-on learning opportunities by linking F2S activities to the curriculum
- Support the schools and the broader community connectedness
- Promote F2SBC activities on social media by posting regional events and activities via Facebook, Twitter, F2SBC website, and newsletters.
- Establish and strengthen relationships with F2SBC schools and provide ongoing support to ensure that teachers, stakeholders and partners are successfully implementing their program.
- Inspire new F2S programs in the region.
- Build and strengthen school-community capacity by facilitating and hosting regular networking and development opportunities (e.g., committee meetings, networking events, learning circles, webinars, and celebration events).
- Identify and secure additional funding opportunities to strengthen and support F2S activities in the Kamloops Regional Hub.
- Background in Health Science, Education, Community Development, Nutrition, Agriculture, Public Health or related discipline, or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Preferred minimum of 2 years of experience utilizing setting-based approaches to health promotion, working with people and communities to integrate a holistic and multi-disciplinary method to build capacity in various settings.
- Understanding of local and sustainable food systems, child and youth health, health promotion, health literacy, agriculture and/or combination of relevant or related disciplines.
- Comfortable with the following software/social media platforms: Word Processing, Excel spreadsheets, WordPress, PowerPoint and social media platforms (e.g.. Facebook, Twitter).
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and as a team player.
- Leadership style and work ethic that promotes collaboration, inclusivity, creativity, open communication as well as independent decision making.
- Understanding of regional food systems and school-food service systems including the network of individuals therein (e.g. principals, teachers, parents, school meal coordinators staff, and students)
- Ability to network with key stakeholders within the regional food system (farmers, gardeners, food producer groups, food processors, and food distributors; including those associated with existing F2S programs and those keen to be supplying such programs).
- In-depth knowledge of sustainable food systems, school food and/or public health nutrition
Submit your resume and cover letter to Richard Han, Provincial Manager of Farm to School BC at firstname.lastname@example.org
Application Deadline: March 26th, 2018
Short listed candidates will be notified by March 30th