Coquitlam School District No. 43
Manager, Disability Management & Wellness
This position is being advertised internally and externally concurrently.
The Coquitlam School District invites applications for a Manager, Disability Management & Wellness.
An exciting opportunity exists at School District No. 43 (Coquitlam) for a Manager, Disability Management & Wellness. School District No. 43 (Coquitlam) is the third largest school district in BC with approximately 4,000 employees and 32,000 students in 70 schools. We serve the communities of Coquitlam, Port Coquitlam, Port Moody, and the villages of Anmore and Belcarra.
This position is primarily responsible for the planning, implementation and management of disability, attendance and wellness programs. This includes temporary and permanent workplace accommodations for complex injury/illness cases. Working within a collaborative setting, the incumbent will liaise with both internal and external agencies and stakeholders to achieve goals in alignment with work performance standards set out by the School District.
- Responsible for the management of disability claims including the facilitation of stay at work/return to work programs and implementation of temporary and permanent accommodations;
- Develop and maintain a written Disability Management/RTW program including procedures that track outcomes of the program and a process to address opportunities for improvement of the program;
- Responsible for managing ‘Duty to Accommodate’ requests, including analysis of undue hardship
- Oversees and provides ongoing advice, guidance and support to management and employees in support of attendance programs;
- Consults communicates and leads meetings involving multiple stakeholders including unionized officials to promote and support wellness and address attendance and disability issues;
- Manage and monitor employee short and long term absences to minimize employee absenteeism by liaising with the physicians, employee, department supervisor, unions, insuring agencies and appropriate community and medical services;
- Track and analyze metrics relating to employee attendance and disability, to identify areas of opportunity and potential solutions;
- Maintain confidentiality of medical and sensitive personal information in accordance with all applicable privacy legislation;
- Oversee the development and implementation of wellness initiatives, ergonomic assessments, risk assessments and action plans;;
- Other duties as it relates to the safety, health and wellness of employees.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Disability Management, Human Resources, Health Sciences or relevant field; and/or a Diploma combined with specialized training in disability management / Human Resources, health sciences or equivalent;
- Minimum five years of related experience in complex disability management, return-to-work, duty to accommodate, preferably within a multi-union environment;
- Proven track record of working independently and formulating solutions and recommendations while balancing the needs of employees, the employer and any Labour Relations implications;
- Knowledge of human resources legislation and professional practices relating to labour relations, human rights, attendance promotion, HR planning and development, and occupational health and safety regulation;
- Ability to establish collaborative relationships with senior management, employees, partner groups, external agencies, other post-secondary institutions, and/or the general public;
- Effective project management skills, coupled with proficiency of advanced computer applications including word processing (Word), spreadsheets (Excel), database management (Access), presentations (PowerPoint), internet searching and email;
- Effective oral and written communication skills, including the ability to communicate through a variety of outlets;
- Must have valid driver’s license and vehicle; local travel is required.
A competitive salary is offered along with a generous benefits package. The successful applicant will be required to successfully complete two criminal record checks.
Your application must include your resume, cover letter, proof of education, three professional references including two reference letters. One of your references must be from your current supervisor. To apply, please forward your documentation to firstname.lastname@example.org by 4:00 pm on Friday February 16th.
We thank you for your interest in this position; only those under consideration will be contacted.
“The deliberations of employees, and Committees used to screen and consider job applications, shall be kept in strict confidence, and shall not be disclosed to any person except as required by law. Personal references, recommendations and evaluations collected or generated by Board employees and Committee members as part of the Board’s hiring processes (other than references whose authorship and content is already known to the job applicant) shall be treated as having been supplied in confidence to the Board for the purposes of the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act.”.