British Columbia Recreation and Parks Association
Manager, Physical Activity Programs
About the British Columbia Recreation and Parks Association
The British Columbia Recreation and Parks Association (BCRPA) is a not-for-profit organization dedicated to building and sustaining active healthy lifestyles and communities in BC. Established in 1958 and celebrating its 60th anniversary this year, the Association is a central resource agency for its members within the recreation and parks sector across British Columbia. The sector has evolved from its early days as a service provider – offering recreational activities, cultural programs and access to facilities, parks and other services. Today, with its many stakeholders including local and governments, non-profit and community organizations, the fitness industry, volunteers and academia, BCRPA addresses increasing physical activity and enhancing health and wellbeing.
BCRPA provides leadership and training through conferences, workshops, communications, and advocacy to improve the quality of life for British Columbians.
BCRPA’s fitness registration program identifies and promotes the highest professional standards for fitness leaders in BC and has gained recognition as ‘the’ standard against which the qualifications of a fitness leader may be measured. It is widely regarded as the regulatory body for fitness professionals throughout the province. BCRPA’s The Registry® of Fitness Professionals, the largest registry of fitness professionals in Canada, has over 4,000 registered leaders. BCRPA is the exclusive provider of the National Fitness Leadership Alliance (NFLA) Performance Standards for the credentialing of fitness professionals. https://www.bcrpa.bc.ca/fitness-program/
Recreation and parks are valued as essential to active, healthy, and connected communities, and to improving the quality of life of every British Columbian.
To lead the enrichment of individuals and their communities through the power of recreation and parks.
The Career Opportunity
BCRPA is seeking a Manager for the Physical Activity Programs Department. This position manages the BCRPA Fitness Registration Program, The Registry® of Fitness Professionals, and other physical activity programs and initiatives which our registered fitness leaders often deliver. This is a hands-on position that reports directly to the Chief Executive Officer and is part of the BCRPA Management Team.
The Physical Activity Manager ensures BCRPA’s fitness leader program delivers a gold standard, province-wide, leading-edge, registration system, and that fitness leaders are provided with professional development opportunities that maintain skill, competency and excellence in fitness leadership.
The Manager sets and leads the strategic objectives of the department as it fits within BCRPA’s strategic plan. The Manager builds relationships with and maintains connections to the fitness and physical activity sector and its stakeholders, building upon BCRPA’s lead voice in the province. The Manager ensures successful development, implementation and evaluation of all departmental programs, operations, processes and policies. This position is also responsible for seeking new physical activity initiatives that support the work of BCRPA’s members and fitness leaders. The Manager supervises staff, provides leadership, and monitors performance. As a member of the Management Team, the Manager demonstrates strategic leadership in addition to the day to day operations of the physical activity department and related operational matters.
- Develop, implement, and evaluate the Physical Activity Program’s department’s strategic objectives, monitor trends within the fitness industry, and ensures the BCRPA initiatives remain relevant to its members and fitness leaders
- In partnership with the Communications Manager, leads the Departments’ brand marketing, maintaining BCRPA’s strong profile as the leader of provincial and national fitness standards
- Ensure that The Registry® of Fitness Professionals is a responsive and effective tool for Fitness Leaders as well as their clients, employers, and members of the public looking to engage with qualified fitness professionals
- Develop, maintain, and enhance relationships with internal and external stakeholders
- Represent the BCRPA’s voice and interests on the National Fitness Leadership Alliance (NFLA)
- Implement and support the physical activity department task forces including fitness specialty standards
- Negotiate and manage consultant and contractor agreements as needed and required
- Develop, manage and implement ongoing continuing educational opportunities for Fitness Leaders, including the annual BCFit Conference.
- Recruit staff as needed, coordinate their work priorities, supervise work plans and conduct annual performance reviews, in consultation with the Chief Executive Officer
- Prepare and monitor budgets, in collaboration with the CEO
- Perform related duties as required.
Required skills and knowledge:
- Demonstrated strategic/analytical skills, together with hands-on management of projects, processes, and people
- Business Development acumen, ability to modify, deliver and advance a high standard product in a competitive market
- Excellent interpersonal skills, conflict resolution, and networking abilities
- Strong communication skills: verbal, written, and presentation
- Demonstrated managerial and supervisory experience
- Event and project management experience
- A history and reputation for collaboration and teamwork
- Detail-oriented with strong organizational skills
- Strong computer skills and experience (Microsoft Office, database management systems, event registration systems, publishing and editing software, content management systems)
- Time management in a busy environment is essential
Education and Experience:
- University degree in relevant field, business or education focus preferred
- Six or more years of progressively responsible management experience
- Experience in project management
- Knowledge and understanding of the fitness industry and physical activity sector in BC
Terms of Employment:
- This is a permanent full-time position, with the option for .8FTE.
- Employment to begin as soon as possible, with a six-month probationary period. Satisfactory completion of the probationary period will be determined through a performance review.
- BCRPA benefits package to be available upon successful completion of the probationary period.
- The range at an hourly rate is $35 – 40. The standard work week is 35 hours, M-F 8:30am – 4:30pm.
- Vacation leave is four weeks per year.
Submit a resume with cover letter by email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Put Physical Activity Programs Manager in the subject line.
Application deadline is July 26, 2018.
We thank all applicants for their interest however only those candidates selected for further consideration will be contacted. No calls please.