Manager of Communications and Projects
Employment: Contract position to June 31 2019 with option for renewal.
Hours: 4 days/week (Monday to Thursday)
Location: #310 – 1212 West Broadway, Vancouver
About the BC Alliance for Healthy Living Society (BCAHL)
The BC Alliance for Healthy Living is a registered not for profit society that first came together in 2003 with a vision to improve the health of British Columbians. BCAHL’s mission is “to improve the health of all British Columbians through leadership and collaboration to address the risk factors and health inequities that contribute significantly to chronic disease.” The BC Alliance for Healthy Living is an alliance in the truest sense – the leaders of some of the province’s largest and most influential health organizations make up the representatives that govern BCAHL and determine strategic priorities and directions.
BCAHL advances health promoting policies, programs and environments that support the physical and mental well‐being of British Columbians. Since 2005, BCAHL has provided oversight for health promotion programming that have affected tens of thousands of British Columbians reaching across BC– from the far north Daylu Dena Council near Lower Post to Sooke in the southwest to Sparwood in the southeast of the province.
As an advocacy group, we work with government and hold them accountable to promote wellness and prevent chronic disease. To learn more about BCAHL please visit www.bchealthyliving.ca
BCAHL is looking for a dynamic communicator with a strategic outlook, who is an organized self‐starter and possesses solid project management skills.
The Manger of Communications and Projects will work closely with the Executive Director to plan and direct all communications activities of the alliance and oversee select projects. This position requires a strategic communications professional who can manage the brand of a multi‐agency organization and employ a variety of mediums and channels to communicate with diverse audiences.
The successful applicant will have exceptional writing skills and experience developing engaging materials, such as: reports, presentations, website and social media content, blogs and press releases. This includes the ability to guide graphic design to deliver visually attractive communications that reinforce key messages.
This position requires someone who is able to comprehend and distill scientific literature and other types of research and translate them into plain language. Knowledge translation and exchange activities will be an ongoing part of the work.
Manager of Communications and Projects
Project management skills will be necessary to plan, organize and implement key communications projects such as social media campaigns, dialogues, webinars and special reports on healthy living topics, in addition to targeted healthy living initiatives.
We are a small, busy and multi‐tasking staff team based in Vancouver. We are looking for a new team member who is a self‐starter but able to take direction and collaborate with others. Flexibility is necessary to manage multiple priorities and respond to emerging issues and a sense of humour is essential.
Required Skills and Knowledge
- A university degree or equivalent in communications, public relations, marketing, health or a related area.
- A minimum of four years of communications experience including two years of experience in project management.
- Knowledge of the principles and practices of branding, marketing and promotion, and public relations.
- Experience developing communications plans and strategies to engage diverse audiences.
- Social media skills – experience using a range of social media platforms and the development of content calendars.
- Graphic design direction – production of reports, infographics and visual content for websites and social media.
- Experience with media relations, including writing press releases, op-eds and pitching stories to media.
- Exceptional written, speaking and presentation skills and strong interpersonal skills. Tact and good judgment required.
- Ability to use metrics to measure success of campaigns or projects.
- Demonstrated ability to show initiative and ingenuity.
- Project management experience – establishing and maintaining effective relationships with suppliers/vendors and stakeholders, ensuring project milestones are met, tracking key deliverables and reporting on progress.
The following skills would be considered additional assets in this role:
- Familiarity with health promotion and knowledge of chronic disease prevention and health equity.
- Government relations experience.
- Fundraising experience including grant writing.
- Ability to use WordPress.
Salary range is between $55,000 and $67,000 depending on experience. Benefits include paid vacation starting at 12 days per year plus time off when the office closed for the holidays at the end of the year.
Interested candidates should submit a resume and cover letter outlining their relevant experience and interest in the position to:
BC Alliance for Healthy Living Society
310 ‐ 1212 West Broadway
Application deadline is Monday, June 11, 2018.
Only candidates selected for further consideration will be contacted.
We thank all applicants for their interest.