School District No.67 (Okanagan Skaha)
Employee Health, Safety and Wellness Officer
Okanagan Skaha School District is seeking an outstanding, innovative individual for the Position of Employee Health, Safety and Wellness Officer effective August 1, 2017 or a mutually agreeable date.
This position will report to the Director of Facilities
Reporting to the Director of Facilities, this positon will implement and manage comprehensive health safety and wellness programs across the District, ensuring a healthy and safe work environment for our employees. The position will act as a resource person for a variety of health, safety and wellness matters throughout the District.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- To advise and assist senior management and other persons involved in planning, controlling and maintaining a healthy and safe work environment.
- Develop and maintain a clear understanding of the District’s objectives and overall strategies in order to effectively plan, prioritize and integrate health, safety and wellness resources across the District.
- Conduct risk assessments and analyses work environments, designing programs to control, eliminate and prevent injury or disease.
- Review and update occupational health and safety procedures and school safety response plans to support compliance with regulatory requirements.
- Works with Worksite Health and Safety Committees as the employer’s representative to develop and implement an integrated program to promote an awareness of safety in the workplace.
- Arrange for occupational health and safety testing and/or evaluations of the workplace by external agencies/consultants as may be necessary.
- Acts in the capacity of the employer’s representative in connection with worksite inspections and responses to WorkSafeBC inspection reports and orders.
- Helps to plan and coordinate the District’s emergency procedures.
- Liaise with a variety of district staff, legislative organizations, Health Boards and other outside agencies as necessary.
- Assist with the orientation of new/returning employees.
- District representative on the District Wellness Committee.
- Act as a resource to all District staff to ensure the District Health and Safety policies, procedures, Workers Compensation Act and Occupational Health and Safety Regulations are followed.
- Establish and maintain a claims management system that ensures immediate and appropriate accident and incident reporting and investigations, ongoing health and safety inspections and risk assessments.
- Develop marketing campaigns to promote a healthy lifestyleand/ or participation in fitness and wellness programs.
- Ability to develop and deliver educational workshops and seminars related to health, safety and wellness to a variety of District staff.
- Organize and oversee health clinics, such as influenza immunizations for staff.
- Provide EFAP information to staff and ensure information on staff intranet is maintained.
This position will perform other related duties as required.
- Degree or diploma specializing in Health and Safety.
- 3 to 5 years directly related experience in the field of health and safety, preferably in a public sector unionized environment.
- Canadian Registered Safety Professional (CRSP) designation preferred. (or equivalent)
- Considerable knowledge of the legislation and regulations pertaining to health and safety in the workplace.
- Considerable knowledge of work site inspection and accident prevention techniques, and of health and safety hazards for a wide variety of trade, labour, technical, teaching and office operations, combined with the ability to carry out inspections of work sites and to decide appropriate action in unsafe or emergency situations.
- Ability to investigate accidents or unsafe conditions and to accurately identify causes, sources and appropriate remedies.
- Excellent computer skills.(Microsoft Word, Excel, Access and Power Point)
- Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with a wide variety of staff, outside agencies and community contacts.
- Ability to plan, develop, and implement a comprehensive safety and health program to ensure compliance with WorkSafeBC and other regulations
- Proven decision making and problem solving skills.
- Strong ability to multi-task, influence, negotiate and resolve conflict.
- Ability to perform functions of the position with minimal supervision.
- Valid BC Driver’s License.
The School District SD No. 67 (Okanagan Skaha), representing the communities of Penticton, Summerland, Kaleden, and Naramata, serves the educational needs of approximately 5700 students through elementary (K-5), middle (Gr. 6-8) and secondary (Gr. 9-12) schools. Our school district has a proud history of excellent student achievement across a wide range of accomplishment areas: Academics, fine arts, athletics, career programs, French Immersion and applied skills with a focus on meeting the individual needs of all learners.
The communities are nestled on the sides of Skaha and Okanagan Lakes in the heart of wine and fresh fruit country. Apex Mountain Ski Resort, named nationally and North America-wide as one of the finest small destination ski areas, is an easy 45-minute drive from Penticton. The combination of good working conditions, strong community support for schooling, and excellent recreational amenities makes the area a highly desirable home.
For further community information on Penticton see:
Application closing date: 12:00 noon, June 23, 2017
Interview Process: TBD
Starting date: August 1, 2017 (or a mutually agreeable date)
Resumes including references familiar with your professional performance, supporting documents, and transcripts.
Mr. Jason Corday
Director of Instruction/HR
SD No. 67 (Okanagan Skaha)
425 Jermyn Avenue
Penticton, BC V2A 1Z4
Fax: (250) 770-7732
We appreciate all interest in these positions. Only those selected for further interviews will be contacted by the District.